The matching mitts pattern is coming soon, so if you prefer your mittens fingerless I'll have you covered shortly!
|Both pics from Steven Universe, found here.|
|Hmmm, those columns would make an excellent cable pattern...|
- all-over stranded colourwork pattern inspired by crystals
- thumb and mitten-top echo the shape of crystal points
- short-cuff and long-cuff options (mittens shown with short cuffs)
- requires less than 50g of fingering-weight yarn in each colour
- one size, to fit 7-8" palm circumference
- colourwork charts
The crystal pattern lends itself to playing with jewel colours, and the yarn I chose, Knitsch Sock dyed by Tash of Holland Road Yarn Co, comes in a wealth of rich, vibrant colours. I used 'Amethyst' and 'Silver Lining', two semi-solid shades with a lot of light/dark contrast. Solid, semi-solid, and variegated yarns will all work in this pattern, but do make sure you have enough contrast between your main colour and contrast colour - for example you could pair a darker variegated MC with a pale solid CC. One of my test-knitters switched MC and CC around for her second mitten, which looks really cool. :)
Knitsch Sock is a good choice for these mittens because its springiness helps you knit at a tight gauge without discomfort, and it's nice and hard-wearing (which I like for anything I'm going to wear on my hands).